Friday, March 28, 2014

Enduring Friendship

We used to meet and talk about our jobs and our relationships.  It had been about 6 months since we last shared a cup of coffee and caught up.  I have known Kathy for over 30 years.  Busy lives and a bit of distance makes it hard to meet more frequently. 



Our friendship had an interesting start.  I was taking a few courses at a local college and was trying to get into an already overcrowded class.  The teacher asked each of us to give a compelling reason why we should get a seat.  I stood and said, “I have a young son I am supporting and have to work during the day.”  I was immediately in.  Next to me was a stranger who stood and said, “I am with her.”  Also, in!  I looked at her and she said, “I guess this means I owe you a coffee.”  Over coffee we laughed till we cried about how we were both now stuck with Micro Economics. 

This has been an enduring friendship that has survived marriage, moving, children, divorce, death, and now elderly parents.

We used to race down hills skiing while we laughed.  And, although we move a bit slower now, what remains a constant is that we still laugh.  In fact, it is the laugher we share that has gotten us through all the trials and tribulations of life.



Laughter is good for the soul.  It relieves tension, gets the metabolism going and just plain feels good.  So, next time you meet with old friends and share the changing times in your life, don’t forget to laugh!


Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment