Wednesday, March 12, 2014

My Turn

While waiting in line to pick up a prescription, I ran into an old friend.  We started talking about different commitments we have, and how busy our lives are.  In front of me a woman of about 75 piped in and said, “I don’t make commitments any more.”

We both looked at her as she continued to say, “I have spent my whole life living it for someone else.  First my parents, then my husband, then my kids, and so on.”  She went on to say that for the first time in her life she was living for herself.

Commitments to her meant someone else wanted her time.  And for her, the sense of not feeling obligated felt like freedom.

We are all different.  For some making commitments means you have a place to be.  It means someone is expecting you.  For others though, it simply means you have a responsibility.  You have to be somewhere.

Whether you commit to activities or whether you are a last minute decision maker, the most important thing is that you are living your life.  Are you engaging in things that make you happy, or things you think you should do?  Are you saying yes to friends when you really want time to yourself?

At what point in your life will you say, “It is my turn”?   I hope way before you are 75.


No comments:

Post a Comment