Thursday, June 13, 2013

Was It Really Easier?


 My favorite 10 year old had a bad week.  While going for the ball during a school volley ball game, he and a fellow student did a body slam.  There was a trip to the nurse and several days of scrapes and Band-Aids.  A teacher yelled at him, and when he tried to explain, she shut him down.  And as bad things seem to happen in threes, he dropped his IPod in the toilet.

We tend to look back and think times were simpler.  Our lives were easier.  The ‘good-old-days’ were rosier.  In fact, I believe most of us see the past with rose-colored glasses.  In reality, this isn’t a bad thing.  It is much nicer to remember the good.  It is more pleasant to fill our thoughts with the fun.  However, in reality, it also causes us to be critical of the present and long for a time which for the most part is tainted.

I was looking at a picture of myself when I was in my 40s.  I commented that I looked old.  My friend said, “Well, if you want to realize how young you truly are, look at the picture again when you turn 50.”

I suppose my point is, (not that there always needs to be a point) that in any given time period we can have great days and really crappy ones.  We tend to think that when things are bad, they always will be.  We also tend to think that when things are good, they always will be.

The good news is that life is cyclical.  So, make the best out of the good, learn from the bad, try and live in the moment and enjoy your journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment