Thursday, June 13, 2013

Friends Don't Let Friends



The other day, I was talking with a professional woman around my age.  I have never met her.  A mutual friend referred her to me.  This woman owns her own ad agency and she was consulting with me on a project I am working on.

The information I was given was extremely helpful and I was so grateful for her time and patience.  While we were talking, the subject of women supporting women came up.  Or, more precisely, women undermining women.  She told me that it saddens her to see and experience so much backstabbing amongst females as they climbed up corporate ladders or were just starting out in their fields.

There is no question that we live in a competitive world.  Women are especially challenged as they also go toe-to-toe with men, who for the most part have populated the professional marketplace for generations.

Jealously, competitiveness and fear are real and ever-present.  I know there are many women who are confidant, self-assured and generous in their support and encouragement towards other women.  I know this personally, as I have been extremely fortunate to have come in contact with many of them.

Remember someone who helped you, so that you could be successful.  Think about the opportunities you have to pay it forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment