Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Time


I actually asked the technician to check my records.  I was in shock that an entire year passed since my last mammogram. 

When I said I will see you in 6 months to the receptionist at my Dentist, it felt more like a deja vu, rather than something I said a half a year ago.

So many of the conversations I hear are just about this very subject.  A friend recently said her grandmother always said, “Blink your eyes and your kids are grown.”  I personally know this to be true.  There is no way I could be the mother of a 40 year old who is the father of a 10 year-old.

I know it is impossible to stop time.  There is no way we can freeze our lives.  However, what we can do is make the most out of the time we have.

Back in the 60’s, in the original movie The Parent Trip with Halley Mills, there was a line that stayed with me.  The Character of Susan was sniffing her grandfather.  He asked her what she was doing.  She said, “I am making a memory of you.  When I am very old and I think of you, I will remember how my grandfather smelled of tobacco and peppermint.”

I find myself stopping throughout the day to take the day in.  I look at the sky.  I listen to the sounds.  I pay attention to how the air feels and smells. 

My plan is when I can no longer go and do the things I love; I will be able to recall them through the memories that I make each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment