Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Is The Grass Always Greener?


I was sitting in the park the other day.  I started to become really aware of my immediate surroundings.  I could see brown spots.  Areas where the dirt was uneven.  There were a handful of weeds, a gum wrapper and a few pesky gnats flying around.

I heard a noise across the park and looked up.  I noticed how green the grass looked over there.  I stood up and proceeded to walk towards that area.  When I got there, I sat down.  I looked all around me and again saw patches of brown, some weeds and an annoying fly. 

At this point I looked up at the area I had been sitting in and was amazed how green it looked.

This, of course got me thinking about the expression, “The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.”  It’s amazing what we miss when we are far away.

Most everyone is dealing with some sort of garbage.  Most everyone has times in their life when things are good.  I think we tend to believe that other people have an easier life, a smoother road, or a more uneventful journey than our own.

Maybe if we looked really closely at those we envy, we would see that they are also dealing with their own patches of weeds.  Just like us.

And, maybe if we really paid attention to the good things in our own life, we would get more pleasure and enjoyment on our own side of the fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment