Friday, January 25, 2013

Not Even a Bee Sting…



A broken IPhone, a work emergency nor a mouthful of canker sores could ruin the day.  Yes, the four of us had our share of complaints and worries.  We had planned this day over a month ago.  A girl’s day out.  We were going to bask in the sun, laze in mineral waters, enjoy a massage and share a glass of wine with lunch.

And, that we did.  The phone got replaced.  The bee sting healed, the canker sores improved and someone else handled the work emergency.

What we didn’t do was to allow any of these things to stop us from having the best day ever.  We talked, we laughed, and we enjoyed ourselves and each other.  I love what Bonnie said when after lunch I asked her “So, what do you want to do now?”  Her answer was simply, “I am doing it.”

Girlfriends!  They bring out the best and the worst in us.  Just yesterday, a friend of over 40 years, yes 40 years said to me during one of our chess mornings, “If it weren’t for my girlfriends, I don’t know what my life would be like.”

Our girlfriends share our dreams, our hopes, our disappointments, our insecurities, our tears and our laughter.

My mother told me when I was very young, “If you want a friend, be a friend.”

I was also told that if you could count your real friends on one hand, you are very lucky.  I am truly blessed, as I would need both hands and a couple of toes to complete the tally.

No comments:

Post a Comment