Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Cycles


I found myself thinking about the cycle of life today.  I am pretty sure I know the reason.  I have one friend whose mother has Alzheimer’s, and is losing the battle, one friend who lost her precious dog, a family member who was diagnosed with breast cancer, and another friend who is ending a very long relationship.

At the same time, I have a close friend who just became a grandmother, another friend who graduated school and has found a wonderful job, and yet another who is looking forward to finally being able to retire.

To say that life has its ups and downs would be an understatement.  It makes me think of the expression, “When life is going good, we tend to think it always will, and when life is going badly, we tend to think it always will.”

And yet, the reality is that if we are fortunate enough to live a long life, we will all be faced with challenges, and moments of sheer joy.

For me, I try to really appreciate the good times.  I try to understand and learn from the bad times.  And, I try to accept what life brings me while trying to affect it in a positive way, as much as I can.

I once heard someone say that our lives are a gift.  Sometimes we are pleased with our gifts, and sometimes we aren’t.  No matter how we feel about where we are in our life; whether we are in a good cycle or a bad one, I do believe that each day brings the possibility of a something better.

With this philosophy, I am able to take a moment when I hear someone has died, to think about a new life being born.  For my friends who are struggling, I think about the ones who have won their battles.

I don’t believe anyone gets a free pass.  I believe we are truly meant to experience it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment