Saturday, August 24, 2013

Frequency


Last night a friend and I watched a movie that was out 13 years ago. 

It is a fantasy, basically Science Fiction.  The premise is an almost 40 year old who is able to connect with his father, his mother and himself when he was just 9 years old.

An old ham radio found 30 years later is the vehicle that allows this communication.  After all the people involved accept this very strange phenomenon, they are able to communicate in a way that is both delightful and concerning.

The premise is if you knew what was going to happen to you what lengths would you go through to alter that reality.  And, by altering it, how would you accept the consequences from the new reality?

The most interesting part to me was having the ability to talk with the child you were.  Comforting the youthful you.  If you were really able to have a ‘chat’ with yourself when you were a kid, what would you tell yourself? 

Me?  I would probably tell myself to enjoy life more.  I would say, “Worry less”.  Obviously it is easier to do this when you are older and have gotten past the trials and tribulations of growing up.

I have a very good friend who has said on more than one occasion, “If I had known how good my son was going to turn out, I would have slept better when he was a teenager.”

It is very hard not to worry; it is very hard to just trust things will work out.  Some people have challenges, where life gets the best of them.  For them I offer holding on to hope even if it means in small ways their situation improves.  And sometimes the best we can hope for is to deal with what cannot be changed or fixed. 


For those who can, I would offer that from time-to-time you could simply tell yourself during times of trouble and concern that life is cyclic.  And, after most storms there is greener grass and clearer skis.  

No comments:

Post a Comment