Friday, February 1, 2013

In an Instant!


I was talking with a good friend this morning.  He was advising me to put my blog link on FB, because it took an extra step to go into the Blog Site from Google.

My first thought was, “Great idea.”  Then as I tend to do, I gave it more thought.  Lots of thought.

My mind started with instant potatoes and I quickly scanned to drive-thru restaurants, microwave ovens, faxes, email, twitter and faster WIFI.  There are a million examples to show how in the past few decades our world has become one of instant response and instant gratification.

A throwback to my childhood is “Good things come to those who wait.”  Now, waiting would mean being out of the loop.

There are so many wonderful things that speed and technologies bring to our lives.  We live longer, we are generally healthy, we are a global world and we can connect with family and friends in far away places in an instant.

While not one to look back, and I do embrace the 21st Century, I can’t help but to wonder if we wouldn’t get a better balance, learn to relax and enjoy all the wonderful nature that is literally at our fingertips, by taking the time once in a while to stop and smell the roses.

5 comments:

  1. Love you Aunt Roni! Love reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy your writing. Your stories make each of us a better person. Life is very precious and we need to make every moment special. Family, friends, and good health is a gift we need to be grateful for every day. Keep writing and following your passion. I look forward to reading your enlightning blogs for many years to come. Eileen Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good things come to those who wait. Do they? What does that really mean? Did Mom mean work hard and improve youself until you have earned a raise or promotion at work. Do what is right and you will be recognized and rewarded. I used to be think that. Now I realize that the world has changed. Sometimes your boss is real busy too and responds to the person who is in his face demanding the raise.
    Change happens and sometimes it isn't for the best. Maybe a long wait means that you are at the end of the line. You do need to stop and smell the roses. Just make sure there isn't a bee in the bud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss the days of getting a letter in the mail, having a conversation with someone in person or on the phone instead of via email or text, and working towards and being rewarded for reaching a goal. We are technologically speedy and it's GREAT having all this access at our fingertips but I do think it's important to put it all away and live life now and then. I agree with you Roni.

    ReplyDelete