Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Admiration


I think from the moment we see our mother smile at us, we seek the approval and admiration from the people closest in our lives.  This quest for love and approval doesn’t leave us until we die.

Although we are all individuals, I believe we have more in common than we do differences.  The desire to be liked, validated and yes, admired is shared by just about everyone.

We learn this early in life.  We do something good and mom smiles.  We do something naughty and there is that disappointed look.  With my own son, my frown had a bigger effect on him than anything I could have done to him.

We go on to seek approval from friends, teachers, bosses and spouses.  I don’t think we ever stop looking for that approval and yes, admiration from our parents.

I don’t care how old we get, or how much we accomplish, it only has real meaning when those we love and we admire give us that feeling that ‘we done good’!

1 comment: