Friday, February 22, 2013

Doing the Right Thing


I have been struggling for weeks now with how to handle my next-door neighbor.  He is a single father who has shared custody of his children ages 3 and 5.

Most of the time when they visit I can hear through the thin walls their crying and his screaming and his threatening them with spankings.  To say this is unsettling is an understatement.

I talked with a couple of people that I am close with.  I asked them what they would do if they were in my position.  A few said they would talk with the father.  One said it was none of my business.  Another one said they would leave a note of concern.

Tonight I walked over to his condo and knocked on the door.  My intention was to remind him that the walls were thin.  I thought perhaps he would take the hint and cool his jets.

Instead he turned off the patio and downstairs lights and ignored my knocking.  After a couple of minutes I came back home.

I am concerned for his children.  The constant yelling and threatening has to be horrible for all concerned.

I really don’t know what is the right thing.  I don’t want to make the situation worse.  I do know however that doing nothing is not an option.