Friday, May 9, 2014

Forgiveness

It had been so many years now since this person caused me major personal and professional grief.  When I think about how much closer we are now, I have to admit without ever really giving this much thought (until right now), somewhere along the line, I have forgiven her.

I suppose for me, time and circumstances helped me to put the past in the past and move on.  I truly believe for most of us it is a better choice than staying angry.  Holding on to past grudges and old hurts and wounds has such a negative effect on us.  While the person who hurt us has moved on, we are still holding tightly to what they did to us.



This isn’t only physically not healthy, but it is emotionally detrimental.  Anger and resentment has such a negative effect on us.  Ever notice how much younger people appear when they are in a good place?  Ever pay attention to those who let life happen and learn to go with the flow?  Well I have.  They seem to be more relaxed, more at peace, and in general happier and healthier.

People who are always uptight, angry and resentful come across as negative and always on edge.  Is that you?  If so, what are you doing to learn how to let go of things you can’t change?  What are you learning from years of being angry, hurt and disappointed?  Are you getting what you want from this?  Is this working for you?

Isn’t it time for you to start forgiving people?  Whether you take them back into your life doesn’t matter.  Whether you pick up the phone or send an email isn’t important.  What is important is that in your mind and body you let go of the negative baggage this has been for you, open your heart, and learn to forgive.




Try it, and let me know if you start to feel just a little bit better.  I know for me, I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment