Thursday, May 9, 2013

Always On My Mind


This song made famous by Willie Nelson brings to mind relationships.  I have always associated it with girlfriend, boyfriend kinds.

I was watching the show The Voice, and a young woman chose to sing it, and said she dedicated it to her grandmother who passed away four years ago.  She said, with tears, that she didn’t spend enough time with her.

I felt badly for her.  There is no question she loved her grandmother.  And, she probably was a good granddaughter.  The truth is we are all very busy.  Work, school, friends, activities, etc. keep us with little time left at the end of the day.

Although we are a culture that buys the latest toys, wants the latest technology, and are always replacing our old gadgets with new ones, the people in our lives are NOT replaceable, and won’t be around forever.



The other day a friend and I stopped by an assisted living facility.  Although we were there for another reason, her best friend, who passed away several years ago has a mother who lives there.  Since we were there anyway, she looked her up and spent about 20 minutes with her.  It had been a very long time since she had seen her, although she lives only five minutes away.

Tears on both sides were shed as they talked, hugged and reminisced about the past.  My friend has committed to visiting more regularly.  Her friend’s mother got so much out of the visit.  I think, perhaps, my friend got more.

No comments:

Post a Comment