Tuesday, September 2, 2014

A Kinder World

By the time my son was seven, we had lived in two states, four apartments and he had gone to three schools. No wonder he was fearful and unsure the first day at his new school as he entered the second grade.


I did all I could to assure him he would be fine. “Where will I put my lunch pail? Will the teacher remember my name?” The Saturday before school started, we drove to the school and walked around so he would be familiar with it. I assured him that he would be fine.


fear


When he started school that first Monday, he was concerned. I, on the other hand, was a wreck. I worried all day long about how he was doing.


When he finally came home all smiles and relaxed, I asked, “How did your day go?” With much animation he said, “This boy named Steven Bryant came up to me at recess and said, ‘I know being the new kid isn’t easy; I’ll be your friend.’” I am not sure if the tears welled up enough for Ryan to see; however, I could feel them.


I found out where Steven Bryant lived and on Saturday I went over with Ryan to thank him for being such a kind boy. I then thanked his folks for raising this sweet, sensitive boy. Ryan and Steven remained friends through high school.


??????????????????????


It doesn’t take much to ease someone else’s fears. One doesn’t need to be on a stage or pulpit to make a difference in someone else’s life. I really do believe if we teach our children to be kind through our words and more importantly, our deeds, we will find ourselves living in a kinder, gentler world.


For more inspirational thoughts and videos, please sign up at my website www.ronikugler.com. If you find value in my articles, please share them with your friends and family. I welcome all comments.


Be kind to others. Be kind to yourself.



A Kinder World

No comments:

Post a Comment